CARES Act Small Business Outdoor Dining Assistance Program
Fredericksburg City Council on October 13, 2020, expressed support for using a portion of the City’s CARES Act funds for a Small Business Assistance Program for purchases that foster outdoor seating. Purchase of heater(s) is mandatory. Tents or types of overhead coverings from the weather will be considered an approved purchase upon review. Other outdoor dining items if not already owned and in use will be considered on a case by case basis are tables, chairs, cushions, and types of lighting. It was determined that a $2,500 maximum grant could be made to each small business. The grants are first-come, first served and are reimbursement based. Receipts for approved purchases will need to be submitted along with approval from the Fire Marshall. Please see guidelines for heaters from the Fire Marshall below:
To be eligible businesses are expected to meet each of the following criteria.
- Have one or more physical locations in the City of Fredericksburg (22401).
- Be current on all City tax obligations prior to March 1, 2020; fully permitted and licensed. Will be verified by the Commissioner of the Revenue.
- New and existing businesses which are currently open.
- Be a for-profit business.
- Complete an application form, certify that all answers are true and accurate, and agree to the application’s terms and conditions.
- Materials and equipment must have been purchased after July 1, 2020 and must be for the purpose of extending outdoor dining season.
If approved, applicants may be required to submit additional information for verification. All information submitted by application or in addition is subject to the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA).
All businesses interested in a grant need to submit the below application.
Program ends on December 22 at 9 a.m.
Applicants are encouraged to contact Fredericksburg’s Department of Economic Development and Tourism with questions by e-mailing Bill Freehling, EDT Director, or Amy Peregoy, Economic Development Specialist/EDA Assistant Secretary.