Arts & Cultural District Incentive
The City of Fredericksburg has established an Arts and Cultural District in the downtown area in an effort to increase the awareness and support for the arts and cultural communities and to provide incentives for qualifying businesses to remain, expand and locate in the district.
Ordinance 10-35 establishing the district defines the boundary, businesses which qualify and the amount and term of the incentives. Qualifying businesses include visual arts, dance, media arts and music studios and places of instruction, art and sculpture galleries, museums, performing arts venues, including live music, theatre, dance and opera and arts offices.
- New Businesses - 100% business license tax reduction for five years and permit fee relief up to $2,000
- Expanded Businesses (30% in area) - 100% business license tax reduction for any new gross receipts and permit fee relief up to $2,000
- Existing Businesses - business license tax reduction up to $250 per year
- Non-Arts Businesses that Host Year-Round, Rotating Art Exhibits - business license tax reduction up to $250 per year
To qualify for the tax incentives, each business must submit an application to the Department of Economic Development and Tourism for approval by the City Manager. Once approved, the business will be entitled to the applicable business license tax reduction on its business license tax application to the Commissioner of the Revenue.
To read the ordinance establishing the district, look at the district map and fill out the application to qualify for economic incentives, please see the following:
- Arts and Cultural District Incentive Application
- Arts and Cultural District Ordinance 10-35 (PDF)
- Arts and Cultural District Ordinance 15-32 (PDF)
- Arts Commission
- Arts Commission Public Art Policy (PDF)
- Arts Commission Public Art Policy Resolution 13-90 (PDF)
- Map of the Arts and Cultural District (PDF) - For a more detailed view, please access FredGIS