Downtown Façade Grants Program
Grant application cycles suspended by EDA Board due to program and criteria review. Special grant application requests will be considered, please contact Amy Peregoy.
Kathy Frazier, a principal with Frazier Associates of Staunton, Virginia, made a "fresh eyes" survey of 25 downtown Fredericksburg city blocks in March 2011, examining our town as if she had never seen it before. She studied building facades and public infrastructure and developed an assessment of how the area's buildings and streetscape appear to visitors, shoppers and residents.
Specific plans for seven building facades were prepared as representative projects to kick off the new façade improvement matching grant program of the Fredericksburg Economic Development Authority.
In addition to the facades assessment and seven demonstration plans, the Frazier Report includes recommendations for improving the downtown streetscape, including trash receptacles, signage, maintenance and more.
Downtown Facade & Above-Ground Infrastructure Assessment Report
- Cover Page and Table of Contents (PDF)
- Assessment Summary (PDF)
- Assessment Maps (PDF)
- Building Elevation Photo Sheets with Assessment
- Above Ground Infrastructure Assessment and Recommendations (PDF)
- Facade Improvement Plans (PDF)
- Prior to applying grant applicants are required to meet with the City's Department of Economic Development and Tourism.
- Applications for the matching grant program are accepted: March 1, June 1, September 1 and December 1.
- Applicant is required to be in compliance with City of Fredericksburg taxes, permits, fees and regulations prior to applying.
Main Street District Applicants
Façade Improvement design assistance is available if your commercial property is located within the Main Street District through a Virginia Main Street (VMS) program. Walk through any Main Street community and you will see refurbished facades with new paint, re-exposed store windows, repaired brickwork and new awnings for example. Fredericksburg VA Main Street, Inc. will assist facilitate design assistance for improvement projects funded by VMS and provided to commercial property owners by Frazier Associates. For more information, contact Ann Glave, Executive Director, Fredericksburg VA Main Street Inc., by emailing or calling 540-479-1595.